I love Cupcakes!! They are simple to make, can prepare them in a short time, store really well and Kids absolutely adore them. I am not really fussy about decorating them because icing sugar just makes it more heavy and too sweet. (Not to mention that I am not very good at making those swirly things *sshhh*.
On weekends I usually make a batch of cup cakes so that kids can take it for lunch through the week but most of them are finished on the same day and make it to the lunch box only on Mondays. I guess that is a compliment for the chef but I have to think of new things to add to the lunchbox.
Anyways so while thinking about cupcake ideas, I thought about making Chocolate Banana cupcakes today because banana cake is a favorite at our house. So it made sense to combine the flavor with another favorite i.e. Chocolate. I make cupcakes in butterfly shaped silicon cupcake moulds from Dreamline and they are the best I have used. The cupcakes rise really well in them and are easy to unmould but you can also eat them straight from the moulds given how pretty they are.
RECIPE FOR BANANA CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
Yields: 12 Cupcakes
1 Cup All-purpose Flour (Maida)
1 Cup granulated White Sugar
1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Large egg
1 Medium Ripe Banana (Mashed)
1/2 Cup Warm Water
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180° and if you are using a muffin pan then line it with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients like flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk and combine all the wet ingredients i.e. egg, milk, warm water, mashed banana, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined.
5. Scoop the batter into the muffin pans or like I have used, silicon moulds until 3/4 full.
6. Bake them at 180° for around 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes clean.
7. Remove from the oven. Let it cool for sometime. Once cool either decorate it with frosting or just gobble them up.
This recipe yields around 12 regular size butterfly cupcakes. If you want to make more, then just increase the ingredients accordingly. The banana flavor combined with chocolate is really nice and gives a great texture to the cupcakes. Although there are tons of cupcake recipes on the internet with extraordinary frosting ideas, I like a simple cupcake with lots of taste. It is like comfort food, simple yet soothing.
Which is your favorite cupcake flavor?
Share your recipes and ideas with me through comments below.