This is a what-to-buy guide for new or soon-to-be parents who want to get their nurseries ready before the newborn baby’s arrival.
It has the most essential items that a newborn baby will require in the initial months. In India many cultures believe that it is not auspicious to buy things for baby before its birth, which probably stems from the very high infant mortality rate that used to prevail in olden days. However, nowadays more and more young parents are breaking this norm and stocking their baby nursery beforehand. The reasons vary from nuclear families, paucity of time and the need to buy things of their own choice.
Although it is easy to go overboard while buying things for your baby, especially if you are a first-time parent, a newborn does not require a lot of things and the stuff that you will buy at the spur of the moment may end up never being used.
So shop but don’t break your bank.
Newborn Baby Essentials Checklist
- Infant safety seat/Car Seat (Rear-facing)–Although not mandatory in India but keeping in mind the traffic conditions, highly advisable. Suggested brands- , Graco,
- Stroller/pram-Can range from Lightweight strollers to complete travel systems with inbuilt car seats.
- Baby Carrier
- Diaper bag/Nappy bag including change mat
- 2 packets Newborn size Nappy Pads
- Wipes – disposable or washable /cotton swabs (boiled in dettol/Savlon)
- Baby ointment/barrier cream to prevent rash
- 24 cloth or re-usable diapers
- 10 Onesies/ t-shirts (lightweight, short sleeve, poppers over diaper area)
- 6 Pairs socks or booties (booties tend to fall off all the time)
- 2 Baby Sleepers or nightgowns
- 8 Washable bibs
- 10 Singlets/sleeveless vests/undershirts – for hotter climates
- 10 rompers/sleepsuits for colder climates
- 6 Outing clothes
- 7 Swaddling blankets (cotton or muslin)
- 4 Scratch Mittens
- 2 receiving blanket (lightweight) & 2 blankets (for colder climates)
- 2 Soft towels (with hood if preferred)
- “Baby bath” solution or mild soap (pears)
- Baby hair brush and comb
- Baby nail scissors or clippers
- Baby massage oil
- Cotton wool balls
- Cotton buds (Baby ones with one end enlarged so cannot be pushed too far and do damage)
- Disinfecting hand sanitizer
- Digital thermometer
- Nasal aspirator (ear syringe can also be used)
- Breast pads
- V-shaped cushion (so you don’t have to stoop down to feed the baby and hence prevents back pain)
- Breast-pump or something for hand expressing – including containers for expressed breast milk
- 6 bottles and 6 nipples (teats)
- Nipple brush
- Bottle brush
- Liquid detergent for cleaning bottles and teats
- Sterilizing equipment (Microwave, Electric, Chemical or boiling)
- Thermal bottle carrier
- Cot Mattress
- 2-3 Waterproof mattress covers
- 2-3 Fitted cot sheets
- 2-3 light blankets (In case room is air-conditioned)
- Macintosh for sleeping
- Pillow and Mosquito Net
- Cot mobile
- Musical toys
Even armed with this baby list of essentials you should try to pare it down further if you expect gifts from your friends and relatives. Also try to borrow whatever possible from your circle of moms who don’t need them anymore. Only exceptions to these are Car seats which should definitely be first hand.
Remember every penny you save now will be an investment for your baby’s future.
Do let me know any ideas you have to improve the baby essentials checklist.