It’s common knowledge that I don’t love cooking a lot and especially the everyday cooking. But I am great at finding shortcuts for tasty meal options to break the routine.
Since we are a chicken loving family, crispy chicken especially the KFC variety is very popular with us. But health and diet concerns have made us cutback on KFC and eating out in general. So what’s a mom to do? I found out an easy and healthy recipe for crispy chicken.
Presenting the Oven Baked Crispy Chicken. It’s easy to cook and is as tasty as the restaurant one and it’s a hit with my family. The first time I made it and gave it to Sam, she said “when did you order from KFC?”. What more endorsement does a mom need? So here goes the recipe for posterity.
Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Recipe
Chicken 500 gms (Breast and legs)
Cornflakes I used regular Kellogg ones
Herbs Oregano, Rosemary, Basil etc. (better yet, get a herb mix)
Chilli Flakes According to taste
Eggs 2 (make it healthier and use only egg whites)
Olive oil 1 tsp (to grease the oven plate)
For Dressing (optional) Honey, Lemon juice, salt, pepper powder and vinegar.
1. Break the eggs into a bowl and add some salt to it.
2. Crush cornflakes into a rough mixture and put it in another bowl.
3. Add the herbs and chilli flakes to the cornflakes mixture.
4. Now dip the chicken pieces in the eggs.
5. After a minute dip each piece in the cornflakes and herbs mixture.
6. Place all the pieces on a lightly greased oven plate.
7. Preheat the oven on convection mode.
8. Bake the chicken pieces on 200° C for 15 minutes each side or until cooked.
9. Keep on the grill to cool.
10. Make a dressing with lemon juice, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper.
11. Drizzle the dressing over the chicken pieces. Enjoy!
Easy-peasy right? Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of the recipe, the chicken is as crispy as possible and will disappear before you know it.